Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chapter 5 - Omni

As Rob entered the restaurant, he could see Scott seated at a table in the internal courtyard between a giant cheese plant and a mural depicting sloth, one of a series throughout the restaurant representing the seven deadly sins.

“Hi Rob,” Scott shouted over and waved.

“Alright Scott,” said Rob as he sat down.

Scott noticed a few of the other customers looking over. He could spot the look a mile away. They had recognised either him or Rob, probably Rob, but couldn’t quite figure out where from. Scott smiled over at them.

“How’s the job going Scott?” asked Rob.

“Loving it,” said Scott. “Getting to watch top quality football, getting to talk about it and being paid for it, fantastic!”

“Top quality football?” said Rob. “I thought it was the Scottish League that you’re covering?”

Scott laughed. “Okay, okay. You know what I mean. It’s amazing though, isn’t it? Me ending up working at the same station as Lisa!”

“Crazy,” said Rob.

“It’s a different life to being in a band, but it’s great.”

“It’s good to move on Scott. You’ve done well for yourself.”

“Listen, I was thinking. What about us all doing a small band set at Jack’s opening night? It wouldn’t need much practice. We could do it with our eyes closed. I think Jack would love it and it would be great publicity for him.”

Before Rob could answer Jack appeared. “Jack, are you going to be late for your own opening?” said Rob. “Remind me, it was you that invited us out for lunch wasn’t it?”

“I know, sorry,” said Jack. “Things are kind of hectic.”

“Right, let’s eat,” said Rob handing Jack a menu.

Rob glance over the menu.

Ayrshire Wedges
Organically grown Ayrshire Potatoes. scrubbed, chipped and cooked in a blend of extra virgin olive oil and organic Aberdeen Angus Beef fat.

Pollo Parma
Corn fed, free range Perthshire Chicken breasts, wrapped in Parma Ham and pan fried.


“I’ll have the chicken and chips,” said Rob when the waiter appeared to take their orders.

Jack smiled. “Make that two.

“I hope your menu isn’t going to be as pretentious as that,” said Rob after the waiter had left.

“Don’t worry,” said Jack. “Italian recipes with mostly Scottish ingredients. That’s it. No essays to describe it.”

“By the way,” said Scott. “I have two more footballers coming to the opening, so that is my table full.”

“That’s great,” said Jack. “I really appreciate the effort you’ve gone to Scott. What about Lisa?” he asked Rob.

“Oh yeah, she’ll be there too,” said Scott, before Rob had a chance to answer.

“Good,” said Jack. “I guess I just need to get the fixtures and fittings in place and we should have a good night organised.”

“I was just saying to Rob before you arrived,” said Scott. “We should do a band set at the opening, just the three of us.”

“I’ll be too busy on the night Scott. I’ve got a band organised though. They do covers, that kind of thing, but they’re very good. I’ve seen them play.”

“Yeah but…” Scott was interrupted by a tap on the shoulder.

“Do you do Football Night?” asked one of the customers he’d smiled at earlier.

“Yeah, that’s right.”

“I thought it was you. You wouldn’t mind signing this would you?” he said, handing Scott a pen and paper. “My son love the show!”

“No problem,” said Scott. “No problem at all.”

Scott could barely contain his excitement. Here he was out with Rob, and someone was asking for his autograph, not Rob’s. Not both of them, but only Scott’s. Fantastic! Scott completely forgot about the band set as he asked the man what his son’s name was.

No comments:

Post a Comment